Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Our baby is here!



The wait is over - our baby arrived early! I went into labor on the 28th, had awful contractions all day long that were kicking my can. Unfortch, they were not regular so I couldn't justify going into the hospital when there wasn't really a reason. So I just suffered through them. And boy were they awful - like a 8 or 9 on a pain scale of 10. Blah.

They finally got about 5 or 6 minutes apart at about 11 that nite so my brother came over to watch Cal since he was in bed already. My mom met Curtis and I at the hospital where they checked me out and monitored me for about 45 cool minutes. I was only at a 2 - a 2! after all day of horrible contractions, what is that crap!? - and since they said my contrax were not super regular, they were releasing me.

My mom and Curtis were both extra annoyed. I was just butt tired and either needed to have the baby already or have those dreadful contractions stop so I could get some rest. They gave me some sleeping pills which only made me hallucinate. Less than 5 minutes after they gave me the stupid thing, I thought I was Alice in Wonderland. This is one of the reasons why I never use drugs. I couldn't really sleep and at home, just was very confused and my contractions only got worse. I kept jumping up and thrashing about like a wild animal and felt super loopy. No sleeping pills for my body ever again!

At around 5:30 a.m, Curtis was sick of seeing me in misery so he called the hosp to tell them he was bringing me back in. New crew had come on duty - thank you, cuz the 2 ladies I saw were not a picnic nor sweet - and they told him to bring me in right away. Hello! Thank you!

I don't remember riding to the hospital the 2nd time really, just remember being in a room in that special nightgown that opens in the back. The nurse came in and was great, I could tell from the start. Seriously, thank you Jesus cuz that is the difference between a good hospital experience and a bad one are those dang nurses.

Denise, bless her sweet heart, was great and checked me. I was at a freaking 7! My concern was that I wouldn't be able to get my epidural. Heaven knew I needed that puppy and the anesthesioligist has just gone into surgery for 40 minutes. And, there was a screamer across the hall so I was 3rd in line it appeared. Thank goodness I only got to an 8 in that time frame and the blessed man came in and gave me that sweet sweet nectar of an epidural. What a relief.

I was at a 10 not too long after that and just needed to wrap my mind around the pushing part so I waited a bit. The nurse had me push through like 2 contractions and apparently I was so amazing at it (ha!) that she had me stop so she could quickly summon the doc. He showed up right that second and I pushed through like 2 more contrax and that was that. Whew.

Doctor held up the baby so Curtis could announce what we had. He looked very wide eyed but was able to get out the "It's a girl!" We had a baby girl!

Laurel was born at 12:09 PM on the 29th, weighing in at 7 lbs 4 oz with a ton of dark hair. Cute as she can be and we are just love love loving on her. We came home the next day and my sweet mother has been staying here to help out. It has been a godsend having her here.

Cal is doing great as a new big brother. When he met her, he must've said very reverently, "She's so cute!" and to her he said, "I've missed you baby sister. I always wanted you." He is very careful to be gentle with her and always wants to kiss on her and love her. I am sure that will change as she gets bigger but for now, it is super sweet and cute and I'm hoping he continues liking her!

My thought with this whole experience has been reminiscent of one of my favorite bookmarks. Random, yes, but this bookmark very much states "One joy scatters a hundred griefs." This has been so true for us on this journey. Last year when we knew we wanted another baby and lost 2 pregnancies, after our previous 2 losses before Cal, it weighed very heavily that we might not be able to have another baby after all. It was very hard to go through those experiences and now, having this sweet precious little girl, it is truly worth it and we are that much more grateful for her in our lives.

I know it is hard having a newborn - it hasn't changed since Cal! - but the good so much outweighs the bad and I couldn't have asked for a more wonderful family. Curtis has been so great as a dad, always has been, and is fantastic with dealing with a nutty wife. While we definitely have our challenges like anyone else, I know I am so fortunate to be on this journey with the best man possible. I am super looking forward to our life as a family of four. I am sure I will have plenty of wigtown moments becuz I am me - :) - but just enjoying this new baby and my sweet little boy.





1 comment:

  1. I don't know why this is the first time reading this post! I must have missed it before now, but I love it! So glad you and Curtis decided to add Lolo to the mix. She was and is still so so precious! Love you!

    ReplyDelete