Why Portland? Well, Curtis knows how much I love to travel so he bought me a Southwest gift card for Christmas, along with another gift card for a bed and breakfast website. His intention was for me to use it for an upcoming girls trip, but I decided we should use it to take our first trip by ourselves. So I looked on Southwest to see where we could go that was kind of close that we could use the gift card for. It ended up between Portland or Denver and Portland had much better B&B's, so Portland it was. What a great choice!
Our first day there, we checked into our WONDERFUL bed and breakfast, Portland's White House, then mobbed around to check out the town. We HAD to stop at Powell's, the world's largest independent bookstore, which was so cool and fun, and also wandered into a Dr. Marten store - such fun! Then we headed back to the White House and Curtis ended up falling asleep at 6 PM so I hung out in the sitting room, writing and reading, and just relaxing with no one to take care of but myself. It was nice.
Our spectacular accommodations! We had the best and nicest innkeepers and the most amazing food every single day
The next day, we got Peet's coffee, and went to the Japanese garden which was super pretty and peaceful, but there were all these people doing photo shoots or something, so we just hung out there for a bit and bounced. I did want to walk around the neighborhood since the houses there are adorable and I loved them. Curtis humored me, even though it was really freaking cold.
Loved these houses - so different from our stucco cracker boxes in Vegas
Later that day, we met up with Curtis' cousin Mande and her husband and kids who live nearby. They were nice enough to let us jump in with them, and took us up to Multnomah Falls, even though it was raining. They are great, great people and it was like we hung out with them all the time.
The hike was wonderful and fun, even though the last part of the trail was closed due to being washed out. I was just excited to be up there! Super pretty waterfall and a great workout by default. After the hike, we went and picked up Mande's brother Mike, whom I hadn't met before, and we all went to the Widmer Bros Brewing Co for dinner. Good food, great company, and just a really good time. We stopped at Voodoo Doughnuts afterward, upon insistence. It was pretty good, but I had a hard time believing that people wait in line for up to 2 hours. There were like 2 people in line when we went, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten anything. To me, that's a sign you should not have something. That is a stupid long time to wait for a doughnut you don't need anyway.
We seriously had a great day with them, and just had the best time. We were so glad to have the chance to hang out with them.

Monday, we went downtown and mobbed around, hit up a little coffee shop that I kinda OD'd on - oops, went to Goodwill where I scored super cute stuff for way cheap(the thrifting there is fanfreakingtastic!), and a few delightful little bookstores. That nite was our actual anniversary, so we went to dinner at a cute little seafood restaurant. Great food, and nice and quiet. I had a fatty headache and was butt tired. Good times anyway.
Our last day, we rented bikes and biked the Columbia Gorge River for a couple hours. The weather was incredibly perfect, and it was just terribly fun and also a great bit of exercise! I loved being able to spend time with my handsome husband and just be able to be us, instead of parents for a little bit. We did miss the kids but really enjoyed the time we had on our own.
The view along the river - so pretty!
Love love loved our trip and were so glad to get the opportunity to go. Also glad our kids were home safe and sound with our mothers and we had nothing to worry about on that front. So that was extra nice. Plus we had the best sleep pretty much ever the whole time, which was a delightful bonus. So much fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment